Gain the freedom and peace of mind that comes with having your own back-up water supply by collecting and storing it sustainably! Natural rainfall is low in minerals and is ideal for drinking, washing, irrigation, emergencies and more.
If you have a pool or pond you can rest assured you will always have enough water to enjoy them all season long. Tank Depot’s Rain Harvest Kits are a complete solution for collecting and storing water safely with our phthalate-free, FDA compliant tanks.
How to Create The Complete Rain Harvesting System
1. Check ROOF SURFACE is suitable for collecting quality rainwater.
2. Install GUTTER MESH (such as Blue Mountain Mesh®) to prevent leaves and debris from blocking gutters.
3. Fit GUTTER OUTLETS from the underside of the gutter to prevent obstruction of water flow.
4. Fit Leaf Eater® or Leaf Beater® RAIN HEADS to downpipes to prevent blocking. Rain heads deflect leaves and debris and keep mosquitoes out of pipes that hold water (‘wet’ systems).
5. Install FIRST FLUSH DIVERTER/S to help prevent the most contaminated rainwater from entering the tank.
6. Ensure a TANK SCREEN is installed at tank entry point to keep mosquitoes and pests out.
7. Choose a WATER TANK. Consider annual rainfall, roof catchment area and water usage when determining its size.
8. Attach INSECT PROOF SCREENS or FLAP VALVES to the end of all pipes to the tank screen to keep mosquitoes and pests out and ensure the tank is vented properly. Install an AIR GAP to TANK OVERFLOW OUTLETS to prevent stormwater backflow into your tank.
9. Utilise a TANK TOP UP system (if required) to automatically top up the tank with mains water when levels fall to a designated minimum level.
10. Select a PUMP SYSTEM (if required) to distribute water for use inside or outside the home.
11. RAINWATER FILTER. Fit a purpose designed rainwater filter after the pump to help reduce residual sediment, color and odor.
12. WATER LEVEL INDICATOR. Install a Tank Gauge water level indicator to your rainwater tank to monitor your water level and usage.
Frequently Asked Questions
As water become a more precious and expensive commodity, many people are turning to rainwater collection. Local populations consistently grow but, unfortunately, the local water supply usually does not. Conservation efforts can lead to dead lawns and limited access to water. A simple way to increase the amount of water at your disposal is through the use of a rain harvesting system. Whether utilized as a main water source or as a backup, rain collection provides a free source of fresh water. This reduces reliance on the municipal water supply and the costs associated with it. Additionally, rain collection can abate drainage problems along with soil and foundation erosion from storm runoff and water pooling. Rainwater can be used for a myriad of indoor and outdoor purposes: from washing the car, pets, and laundry to bathing and drinking, depending on the purification system and local regulations.
Rain harvesting systems are durable and easy to install and maintain. Rain harvesting increases self-sufficiency regardless of setting: urban, rural, arid, wet, commercial, or residential. Plastic-Mart offers a wide range of collection systems to choose from for flexibility in implementation into existing structures or the design of new construction. Offering rain harvesting solutions from companies like RTS, Snyder, Graf, Bushman, Nino and more, you are sure to find the perfect product to meet your needs.
Plastic-Mart's rain barrels are the perfect solution collect and store rainwater for non-potable use. Rain barrels come in a variety of colors, most commonly seen in green, white, black, and brown. Generally, they are opaque to minimize exposure to light in order to slow algae growth. They can be decorative or purely functional in style, and sizes usually range from 40 gallons to 80 gallons. They are great for conserving water, energy, and money, since water will not need to be purchased for outdoor watering. Collected rainwater is perfect for a number of non-potable, water-intensive activities like watering plants or washing windows, pets, and vehicles.
Made from a variety of materials, rain barrels can be used year round, and are commonly positioned under downspouts to collect water draining from the roof top. Many barrels come with screened lids to limit debris from entering. The hose shutoff valve imbedded in most barrels allow the filling of watering cans or the connection of hoses for direct watering or to chain barrels together to increase capacity. Rain barrels make a sound financial investment as they provide access to free water after initial set-up costs. Consider, a 1,500 square foot house could collect over 800 gallons of water for every 1 inch of rain.
With level monitors, pumps, filters, diverters and more, Plastic-Mart also offers a full range of accessories to transform your new rain barrel into a full rainwater collection system. With a wide variety of sizes and styles to choose from, Plastic-Mart is sure to have the right rain barrel for you.
- Vertical Plastic Water Tanks
- Underground Water Storage Tanks
- Portable Plastic Water Storage Tanks
- Doorway Water Tanks
- Cradle Water Tanks
- Emergency Water Tanks
- Forkliftable Water Tanks
- IBC Totes and Caged Water Tanks
- Onion Water Tanks
- Plastic Stock Tanks - Water Troughs
- Stackable Water Storage Tanks
- Steel Metal Storage Tanks
- Transport Tanks
- Truck Bed Plastic Water Tanks
- Vertical Liquid Storage Tanks
- Horizontal Leg Tanks
- Cone Bottom Tanks
- Bladder Tanks
- Brine Storage Tanks
- Containment Tanks & Basins
- Double Wall Tanks
- Loaf Tanks
- Low Profile Hauling & Storage Tanks
- Open Top Plastic Tanks
- PCO Tanks
- Polypropylene Tanks
- Portable Spot Sprayer Tanks
- Pressure Wash / Auto Detail Tanks
- Steel Metal Storage Tanks
- Storage Tanks Accessories
- Utility Tanks
- Septic Tanks
- RV and Marine
- Fuel and Oil
- Add-ons and Accessories